Thursday, May 31, 2018

Truth

I love productive days!

See, I had a good dream last night. I shouldn't count it as a good dream, since I'm trying to get over him, but...whatever. I woke up from a good dream, which means the day was already off to a good start!

I applied for jobs, worked some more on the whole grandparent thing--and discovered more things that don't make sense--discovered (and visited) my step-grandma's buried just up the road from me, went for a walk, went to the temple, got tickets for the "Be One" event tomorrow, AND decided I'm pretty cute and awesome. :)

A very productive day.

I also want to share something that has been bothering me for a couple of days.

At the dance the other night (in an LDS church building), there were two lesbian couples and one of them was making out on the stage. It was super uncomfortable for me. I don't support that lifestyle, but even still, seeing anyone make out in public is uncomfortable for me.

I thought of how my thoughts would be received if I were to share them publicly. 

I would offend people, to be sure.

Why does possibly offending people bother me? We live in a day when good is called evil and evil is called good. Morality is worse than the days of Sodom and Gomorrah. People, like myself, are trying to fly under the radar so as to not ruffle feathers. That does no one any good.  It's not easy to stand for what is right, because surely you will make enemies. The truth is sometimes hard to hear. The scriptures are full of examples.

Take Nephi, as one example. He explained the meaning of his father Lehi's vision of the Tree of Life to his older brothers. Not calling anyone out; he simply explained the symbols. His brothers' reactions can be found in the first couple verses of 1 Nephi 16:

1 And now it came to pass that after I, Nephi, had made an end of speaking to my brethren, behold they said unto me: Thou hast declared unto us hard things, more than we are able to bear.

2
And it came to pass that I said unto them that I knew that I had spoken hard things against the wicked, according to the truth; and the righteous have I justified, and testified that they should be lifted up at the last day; wherefore, the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center.
Then I read a comment along this same idea that someone made on a comment on a post where the question was asked:
"What's the hardest thing about being LDS in 2018?

A woman commented that she doesn't know how to share her testimony with a non-member in-law who is trying to get her to leave the church. She wants him to know that she knows the church is true, and that the prophet is a prophet called of God, etc.

Someone then commented that it's hurtful to active members to hear someone say they "know" the church/gospel principles is/are true when the active members are doing their best to hope that it's true. The person claimed one can't know.

 ...That is so false. A testimony is sharing things you know to be true. It is possible to know, and "by the power of the Holy Ghost you may know the truth of all things" (Moroni 10:5). By sharing your testimony, you help others build up their testimony.

I mean, if you look at the gifts of the Spirit, "To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus is the Son of God...to others it is given to believe on their words..." (DyC 46:11-30; see also Moroni 10:8-17, 1 Corinthians 12:3-11)

My point is, sometimes the truth is hard to hear. Doesn't make it any less true, though. We need more people standing up for truth, so I will do my best to do so respectfully.

**Oh! and in other news, I went in for an interview for a temp-to-hire position. I only want the temp part, because I will be moving to Boise. However, the company wants to skip the temp and simply hire me. Pay/hours is not good enough to tempt me for hiring on as anything more than a temp. What a pickle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment