I have been so very blessed. It's all sorts of wonderful. Things don't always go as I'd like--mostly because I don't always listen, and choose my own path--but the Lord still provides me opportunities that I would never otherwise imagine.
Take, for example, being a youth mentor for the Youth Celebration of the Jordan River Temple re-dedication.
When I decided to move to Utah, I had no idea there would be a temple dedication shortly thereafter. I didn't imagine I'd have so many opportunities to get involved with everything associated with the re-dedication. But I have, and I have loved it. Heck, so much of my time in Utah has revolved around temples...and I'm not complaining.
Well, the dedication is this weekend. Tonight we had the first tech rehearsal in the Conference Center. In preparation, I finished making little personalized cards for all of the youth that were in my district so I could distribute them tonight. They were photo collages with a special little message on the back.
A couple of weeks ago, I decided to have each of the youth write something memorable from preparing for the re-dedication of the temple, and being a part of the celebration. Each week they'd write something on a paper, and I'd take their picture. I wanted them to have a quick written memory of their service, but also the visual proof of how their countenance has changed over the past few weeks.
A couple of weeks ago, I decided to have each of the youth write something memorable from preparing for the re-dedication of the temple, and being a part of the celebration. Each week they'd write something on a paper, and I'd take their picture. I wanted them to have a quick written memory of their service, but also the visual proof of how their countenance has changed over the past few weeks.
...It was really cool to see. For some, their smiles each week kept getting bigger. For others, what started with no smile had a little smile and a glow by the last week.
There were some really sweet memories they shared. One of the kids wrote for his last week that his favorite part of being in the band was being a part of our district (group). That made me feel so good, and grateful for the opportunity to serve in this capacity.
I love the temple and I love the gospel. If I can help others learn to appreciate the good, unique things we have, then I am happy. That is one of my talents: I can teach. (I do enjoy it...just not in a school setting.)
There were some really sweet memories they shared. One of the kids wrote for his last week that his favorite part of being in the band was being a part of our district (group). That made me feel so good, and grateful for the opportunity to serve in this capacity.
I love the temple and I love the gospel. If I can help others learn to appreciate the good, unique things we have, then I am happy. That is one of my talents: I can teach. (I do enjoy it...just not in a school setting.)
I didn't get to distribute all of my cards because my district was split up by instrument, but I was able to give some. I was a little apprehensive of how they'd be received, but when I saw their faces light up, and I saw them look it over a couple of times, I was glad that I made them.
I hope they will remember the things they've learned, and the blessings they've received for the rest of their lives. :)
Tomorrow we go back for the dress rehearsal!
No comments:
Post a Comment