I'm lucky to have my family.
I was rear-ended today...pretty badly, too. I hurt all over, and my poor car has huge owies all over the backside.
It might not have been so bad had I not been completely stopped. But I was, and the woman in her utility van hit me hard. The cover to my moon roof even slid back 4" from the impact.
...and as I sat there in my car, my first thought was, "what do I do?" I haven't been in an accident in 12 years (also not my fault), and that time I was close to my house, so I called my family and they came to help take care of things. This time...I had no one to come help me. I was on my own.
I called my sister, and luckily she answered. She said to call the non-emergency police number. I tried to find it, but the webpage I pulled up said "call 911, or the non-emergency number..." but it didn't actually give the number. So my sister helped me out by looking it up on her computer and texting it to me.
...that was all she could do. I knew to take pictures, so I did. And I contacted my insurance...and waited while the police showed up.
I wanted to cry. I wanted to not be alone. But I didn't have those options.
I wanted to cry when the insurance company told me that if I want to get my car fixed now, I could pay a $500 deductible, and they'd cover the rest, or I could wait and see what the other driver's insurance would do. I said I'd wait (because I don't have $500).
I didn't cry though. "No blood, no tears," as my grandpa would say.
Today was supposed to be a good day. It's the 13th. Sure, it's the day my grandpa died 12 years ago, but it's also the day my nephew was born 4 years ago. It's the 13th. It's my number.
I will say, a man working at the store we parked near while we were waiting for the cop brought us some waters. (It was hot out today!) He was very kind. I'm surprised he even noticed we were out there. I appreciated that. (I made sure to go back and say thanks again before I left.)
Well, flash forward to when I finally make it to my apartment...and the AC is busted, and it's 89 degrees and stuffy inside, but equally as hot outside...and I wanted to give up. Today was going to be the day I applied for jobs! I couldn't focus on anything, so...another day where I'm stuck.
I updated my family on the accident, and were happy to hear that I'm alright.
Y'know, what? I can do hard things. I'm a tough cookie. Even when I think I'm alone...my family is only a phone call away. Not everyone has that luxury.
Did today suck? Nah. There were a lot of bad things, but there were good things, too. (My little nephew loved the birthday card I made him. :))
Tomorrow's another day, and I'm still here to try and make something of myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment