Thursday, July 5, 2018

America's Birthday

Today we celebrated America's birthday.  I did so in good ol' American fashion.

To start the day, my roommate, her sister, and I went to (crashed) a pancake breakfast. (It was for a ward/building that none of us go to. :D) I didn't think anyone would notice us as outsiders, but as we were in line one lady said, "Are you new in the ward? I don't recognize you." Heh. Oh, well. :D

Then, I went on a hike with my old roommate, her husband, and their 1 year old baby. It was a lot of fun, though not the prettiest scenery. (Battle Creek Falls Trail.) I was super excited when we stopped for McDonald's afterwards--that's not the exciting part, silly--and the baby let me hold him while he ate! ...He's pretty shy and doesn't like anyone except his parents. Hooray! :)

By the time I made it back to my apartment, my roommate and her sister had already got the "cookout" stuff out and ready to eat, so...I ate again. (Just a little bit. There's only so much space for food.)

Then we made our way to the rodeo! Woohoo! It was so cute seeing the mutton busting! The bucking events always make me nervous for those poor cowboys' necks/spines. But, I am excited to say I saw TWO cowboys stay on the bull for the full 8 seconds. (The last rodeo I went to--2013--the longest anyone stayed on was like 5 seconds.) Ride 'em, cowboys!

My favorite part of the rodeo, though, was probably the national anthem. Always is, but this time the mic wasn't working, so the crowd sang. Thinking about what the song stands for, I always tear up. I am so grateful for the land that I live in, and the founders of this great nation. I'm grateful for those that continue to fight--at home and abroad--to protect the freedoms we enjoy. I am so very blessed, and I wish I could help those who sacrifice so much understand how much it is appreciated. *sigh*

Finally, the fireworks. ...it was a decent show. ~45 minute display, however, my mind kept going back to last year's display at Manassas Battlefield. (I liked Manassas the best, in spite of the rain.)

I'm grateful that this year I was able to spend this day with so many friends. In that sense, it was a lot better than last year's. I hope that next year's will be even better, and that I will have someone special by my side. *shrug* Goals, right?

I miss my family, and gathering them together for celebrations like today, but I know I'm getting to where I need to be so that I can have my own family. It's still hard...y'know.

I'm exhausted, but I'll share pictures later. I still have to work tomorrow. hoo. ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment