Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Jordan River Temple Open House

-----------
The open house is to give the general public the chance to see what it is like inside of an LDS temple. After the dedication of the temple, only members that have recommends by their ecclesiastical leaders will be able to enter these sacred buildings.
------------

Today I had my shift working at the temple open house. When I got my assignment, I was reminded of the scripture in 1 Cor 15:29:
Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?
This comes as Paul was teaching the Corinthians about the resurrection, he taught them that all will be resurrected, even as Christ was, and thus explains why they performed baptisms for the dead.

I had the opportunity to be an usher in the baptistry, right where the guests really see the font area for the first time. This was my view all morning. (Want to see other pictures of the inside of the Jordan River temple?)


It was so sweet standing there and seeing the expression of awe on people's faces--especially the kids. I remember one dad carrying his son, maybe 18 months old, and he asks his son, "Do you like it? Do you want to go in?" The son looked around the room, seemed to give it some thought, smiled, nodded, and said, "uh-huh!"

It was super cute.

Parents would stand in front of the glass window, looking onto this room, and explain to their children the work that is performed here, its significance, and when the children would be able to participate.

Many people asked what the oxen represent. However, one young man in particular stood out to me. He came with, what appeared to be, family. There were about seven of them, all various ages. He looked to be a young teen, and watching him approach the window, he did not seem too interested in walking through the temple. His group paused right by me waiting their turn to go in, and others of his group were in conversation about the temple. He timidly approached me and asked, "Excuse me, um. What do the oxen represent, again?"

"The twelve tribes of Israel," I responded.

"Oh, yeah, that's right. Thanks." And he looked over the room with a little more interest in his eyes.

It reminded me that people don't like to feel stupid. And how stupid can you feel to ask a question the people around you think you should already know? It's easier to hide what you don't know if you pretend you don't care.

I don't know why, but I was really glad that young man asked his question.

While serving today, I also saw my mission president and his wife, and then another senior missionary from my mission! So happy!

Another brother came up and said, "You look like you served a mission." "I did, many years ago." "I was the MTC president, when were you there?" "2009." "Oooh, you got there well before I did." ...I think I look younger than I am. People keep asking if I'm 24/25. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment