I've been contemplating this idea of progression recently.
Interestingly enough, it has come up because I've been feeling stuck. In trying to figure out how to become unstuck, I have wondered what it means to progress.
Progression is "developing or gradually moving to a more advanced state."
More advanced state of...what?
In business you may determine progress happens if sales, memberships, or revenue increases. An individual employee may feel progress happens with a promotion, raise, or increase of responsibility. They're quantifiable. You can check them off a list.
If you're unemployed, finding a job would be progress. Any job would do. ...or so I tell myself. Then I see Al Carraway's tweet: "Opportunities: just because it's appealing doesn't mean it's right."
Ouch. That shut me down. I've not been feeling good about any of the jobs I've been applying for, but I’ve been tempted to take some just so I’d have a job. In fact, I've felt that I shouldn't even be looking for jobs. (!! Huh?!) It's a scary thought. I keep feeling like I need to be using this time to focus on serving. Temple work, making treats to take to people, doing whatever I can to serve. ...Well. Serving doesn't really pay. BUT! I'm working to show the Lord that I'm going to be a better listener...so serve I will. (I actually really enjoy serving others...but it doesn't pay bills. haha)
This then continued the question, what does it mean to progress personally?
--Ok. Epiphany! This is so funny. My roommate and I have been discussing this idea for a couple of days, and NEVER has the YW's Personal Progress program come to mind. New goals! Woohoo!--
I digress.
Y'see, while I've never been one to care about titles, I don't like to sit idly by. I've been working (and getting paid) in some form or another for most of my life. Feeling like I should not look for a job is really tough. Really tough. It got me thinking, though. What does progression look like if I'm not actively employed? For instance, if I were to get married and have a family, would I be ok with that life? Would I feel stuck? How do you measure progression outside of work?
It's not as easy to pinpoint, because there are an infinite number of ways to progress, but not all of them are quantifiable.
You progress by making a house a home. Creating memories with the people around you. Serving. Helping others come closer to Jesus Christ. Helping myself come closer to Christ. Sending (homemade) cards to people. Discovering talents and using them for the good of others. If kids are involved, helping them to learn and grow. Teaching them how to be good people, and helping them develop their own relationship with God and Jesus Christ. Supporting and loving my husband every day. Becoming closer as partners, and learning to communicate better.
Will it ever be perfect? No, but you work towards these things, becoming better everyday. Gradually advancing. It may be slower to notice the progress, but that's ok. Modern society has conditioned us to need immediate results, or toss it away and start again. Progress doesn't always have immediate, noticeable improvement. It can be discouraging. It can feel like you're spinning your wheels, but all the while you are learning something. In every challenge that comes up, you are learning something, you are growing, you are progressing. ...and if you don't learn it well enough the first time, you may be faced with it again another time. That's ok.
This life is to prepare to meet God. If what you are doing is getting you towards that end, then you are progressing. It's not going to matter how much money is in your stock portfolio or bank account. It's not going to matter how many followers you have on social media.
I have concluded. While I feel stuck on the work front, I am not actually completely stuck. I am still progressing well, and learning to navigate this interesting stage of my life. I feel good about who I am, and what I'm doing. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. Bills...well I'll find a job eventually. I'm still ok for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment