Monday, March 19, 2018

FHE Pageantry

Family Home Evening in a singles ward. What does it look like?

Tonight, it was 10 men in a pageant of sorts to win the title Mr. <ward name>!

Round One: Date outfit.
Round Two: 3 Questions
Round Three: Talent

The prize? A gift card for a dinner date!

I was impressed by the men's ability to get up in front of the ward and share their talents. Some guys were being intentionally goofy, you could tell, while others were trying to be and not getting the reaction they were hoping for.

The key, is to be yourself. The ones who were, whether goofy or serious, came across better.

One guy did the macarena for his talent, and asked for people to come up on stage to dance with him.
...the music started and no one went up...
...then one guy...
...then one girl...
...then the two emcees...

I sat there, trying to picture myself willingly going onstage to help this guy out. I couldn't. I'm a dancer, yet the stage terrifies me. I don't like people watching me.

I thought if I were in a talent show, and I had someone to dance with, would I want to get up on stage to dance?

No.

Not for a chacha, or a samba, or a viennese waltz. I'm a good dancer, and I love to dance. ...but I freeze up when people are watching me.

I wish I had the ability to do what these guys did--to get out there and do their thing.

'Cause you know what? No one ever sees the people hiding in the shadows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment