Monday, June 12, 2017

Adventures in Houston (Days 2-3)

When I first went to Houston, as a missionary, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I learned so much. I made a lot of unforgettable memories, and forged a lot of lifelong friendships. The people that I was able to visit with this time around...we picked up as if six years hadn't passed. Man, Hermana Galvan's face when she turned around and I was right there... I won't forget her excitement. She is a very special lady, and I am so lucky that I can count her as a friend.

The hermanos that we went to the temple with--haha, hermano didn't think we'd show up. He told his wife, "The misioneras aren't going to be there, they were at the wedding really late, they won't wake up." (We got home the night before at 12:30/1 am, and needed to leave for the temple around 7 am. Ha!) Hermana bet we would show up--we said we would. She had fun proving him wrong. haha. Well, my first night in my baby area, they were the ones to feed us. And every time we would have a flat tire--again, it was often--it was the hermano that would come rescue us. It didn't matter if he was in his Sunday best and there was a hurricane outside. (Would you be surprised to hear he's now obispo? Me neither.) They are such a wonderful example to me.

Hermana and I went on a little road trip after the temple. She's a Florida beach bum, transplanted to Utah, so she was more than willing to drive "an hour" to Galveston before we went to visit some people. ...they blocked off the highway for a couple of miles, so there was tons of traffic. What should have taken an hour took 2.5. Oh, well, we still had a lot of fun drifting in the ocean. And you can't beat the big open Texas sky. 
The sand and water were super soft. The water tasted awful though--no, I didn't intentionally drink it. But it's interesting how different it is from Virginia/Maryland beaches. The gulf water is more of a salty solution--I imagine it must be, it's so soft--whereas the Atlantic beaches I've been to are salty mixtures. ...oooh, or maybe it from the oil...hmm. That's another possibility. More reason to not drink the water. 
Then there was Lupe and Nancy--the churro people! I found them, and he remembered me! I'm sure it's in no small part because we were two young, tall, white girls that spoke Spanish really well, in the ghetto. It's kinda hard to forget that. We came about a year after he opened up shop, and since then, there have been many misioneros that have come to his churro truck...but we were the first. The oddity. And I told (still tell, really) everyone that goes to that area needs to try a churro. They're so good! Haha. Oh, my goodness, that was such a fun visit! haha :) Ok...except for the creepy guys ogling us in the parking lot. Eyebrow wiggle? Seriously? Lupe reminded me it's not safe to be out walking around after 7, so we needed to be extra careful. (It was well after 8.) Ha, don't I know it. I don't think I'd ever forget. Going by "Guns"point still makes me nervous in broad daylight. It was sweet to warn us, though. We got our...10...churros and left. hahahahahaha :D (They weren't all for the two of us though...honest. ;) )

That brings us to Sunday. The day of visitas. Three wards in three hours, with an hour of driving from the first to the last. We were super blessed to do our ward visits, and the few family visits we had been really wanting to do. Time was not in our favor, and yet everything worked out perfectly. Thank you, answered prayers. And la familia Juarez invited us over for lunch! Hermana was like, "I'm sorry misioneras, the rice is burnt." No, hermana, the rice is some of the best I've had in 6 years. Everything was so delicious! And their kids, oh, my goodness! They've grown up! The parents look the same, but the kids have grown up, and they're adorable! The youngest one was so excited to see pictures of her siblings from when I was a missionary. Y'know, come to think of it...these hermanos weren't even in my area. Ward, yes. Area, no. Haha, I don't know how we became such good friends. Though next time I go back to Houston, I'm going to spend a whole evening having a dance party with them. I owe them so many dance lessons, and I didn't have time this go-around. :(

Then the Manzanos. Son como mis padres de la mision. Ay, they haven't changed either. Their oldest daughter--again, I was showing pictures--said her dad looked the same...except he has less hair now than he did then. Hahahahaha. Their son cracked us up though. I was holding the baby, and I think hermano made a comment about me taking her with me. Domi, the son, was not going to let that happen. He's like, "She can't go, we have her swing." "She has to stay because we have a chair for her." I had her wave her little hand saying bye, as we walked to the door, and Domi ran to the door and spread his arms as wide as he could go, and said "She needs to stay here! We have her dolls!" I could see him getting really distressed, so I told him we're just playing, I'm not going to take her with me. He then said, "She can't go with you, we have clothes for her." To which his older sister said, "We can pack them and give them to her for the plane." He looked really worried and unsure of what was going on, it was breaking my heart, and then he cracked us all up. "She can't go with you. We're here parents!" ...he's 3. hahahahahahaha. "She needs to go back in her swing." I said, "Ok, we'll go put her in her swing, will you help?" He walked me over, and as soon as I set her down, he was guarding her. It was the most adorable thing ever. He said something about his older sister, too, which makes me think it'll be really tough for any guys that break his sisters' hearts. Domi also gives the very best, big hugs. He ran over to give me one when we were saying our goodbyes.

I could go on and on. These hermanos...they were surprised at how well our Spanish was maintained. :D I know them from my early-mission days, too. Oh, and the news they shared! I'm so excited!! They're working on getting things in order to be sealed! They're thinking October or March. I'm thinking October is a great month for it. :D No reason at all, of course. ..except shall I list them? ;)

This was the perfect weekend. It was all of these people and then some that taught me what love is, way back when I was a missionary. And its also because of them I know that real love doesn't fade. Even after all of these years, with little contact, I still love them all, very much. I was worried that I would just be one of the many missionaries that would cross their doorstep. They changed my life, so I will never forget them; but I didn't think I made that big of an impact on them. Their memories have told me otherwise. I am so thankful for that.

Another awesome thing: I can still navigate my areas without a map... for the most part. And I remember where people live(d)--many have since moved. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment