Adventures in Houston:
Day 1: The Wedding.
Ok, and no lie. I forgot how hot and humid Texas gets. So we waited inside in the waiting room after a bit. While in there, we began a fun game of who's who? A lot of faces looked familiar, and some of their names came easier than others. Let me preface this: Courtney and I served in the ward about the same amount of time. I think I had one more transfer there than she did. A lot remembered both of us, some remembered one and not the other.
One hermana, I don't think I had ever really talked to her before--she never went out with us, looked at me and said, "I know you. Do you know me?" I said she looked familiar--and she did, but I knew I didn't know her. (Hermana Willis, on the other hand, did know her.) "Do you know my name?" She tells me, and I recognized the name as being in the ward, but it wasn't an "Oh, yeah! So great to see you!" kind of thing. She then proceeded to squeeze between me and the person next to me, and just started talking. None of the catch-up questions I had come to expect. She starts telling me about all these things the temple makes people think about, and then giving me advice for a successful relationship. I listened as she spoke, though none of it was new to me, it was a good reminder. There needs to be mutual respect, good communication, and similar goals.
She talked with me about 10 minutes before an hermano we did a lot of service with came in and had big hugs for me and Courtney. Then it was time to greet the newlyweds.
Fast forward to the reception. I love dancing. Did you know? ;) Dancing at weddings is my favorite though. It's special. Usually it's the father-daughter dance that tears me up, but this time it was the mother-son dance. They were standing together in the middle of the floor while the groom's aunt read a letter his mom wrote. She told of her worries and hopes as she watched him grow from a baby to a young man. He's her oldest son. Then she spoke of her hopes for him as he becomes a husband, and one day father, and how much she loves him. Watching them dance...man, it was the sweetest thing.
I knew these two back when they first started..not quite dating. They weren't quite old enough to date, but you knew they would. It was a little surreal seeing them in wedding attire--neither one has changed much in 6 years--it was like they were teenagers playing dress up. Instead, they're adults starting a new adventure together. I'm so excited for them. I must say, they are great together. This was one of the most fun weddings I've been to in a while. While it had traditional elements, they did them fun twist, and it showed how much they love each other and what great friends they are. I'm really glad I was able to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment