Saturday, February 6, 2021

My nephew just called to ask me to speak at his baptism next week. He was upset because he was told he’d be getting baptized today (and a couple of weeks ago, and many times before that), but today really seemed like the day. Except nothing had been prepared. I encouraged my sister to do it right, not just something simple and thrown together with no one there. So now it is next week, and my nephew is a making calls.

He’s still sad at the disappointment. I remember that feeling, too. I didn’t show up to my own baptism because my dad couldn’t do it. Programs were printed, my friend waited two weeks so we could get baptized the same day...and then I wasn’t there. I felt so embarrassed by saying I wouldn’t go through with it that I didn’t even show up to support him. I kept waiting, and waiting for my dad to be able to do it. He never could. Instead, I got baptized the same day as my little brother a couple of years later. But in order to do so, I had to meet with the missionaries and take all of the discussions. That seemingly small thing has had SUCH a profound impact on my life, and I’m grateful for the time I had to prepare.

I shared a bit of that story with my nephew. The disappointment is rough, but better things lay ahead. I had a much greater understanding of the gospel after talking with the missionaries, and it is part of what inspired me to serve a full-time mission. Looking back, I am different from others in my family, and this may be why. A covenant made even when you’re a child is still a very sacred thing, and it is good to understand.

This nephew is already unlike his siblings. I look forward to see how his story unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment