I love history. I don't remember a lot of what I've learned over the years, but I love learning about it.
I love to picture how life used to be, back before companies were microchipping employees. (I know, that's not a new thing, but it hadn't quite caught on in the US...I'm still hoping it doesn't.)
So. I've been thinking about moving out west. I know it's not exactly, but it feels so much younger than the east. Like there's not a lot of history. It's a different sort of history.
If I'm going to move out west, I want to knock out as much of my Civil War passport book as I can.
Y'see, things are changing. People are working so hard to rewrite history. I grew up in the South. Didn't feel like it, but it's true. South of the Mason Dixon Line.
You think of the people who have walked these roads before you, back when the main road was dirt, and the plantations abounded. You still see old farmhouses that have been refurbished for different purposes.
Anywho, the roads, schools, and landmarks derive their name from the rich history of the area. I remember sitting in my government class, senior year, and hearing about good ol' General Burnside. It's because of him we have the term sideburn. Well, there's a street named after him, and I think of it every time I drive by it.
There are the high schools, Robert E. Lee, J.E.B. Stuart, Stonewall Jackson--all named after Confederate generals. That is the history of this area, it was part of the South. People are fighting to change everything. There was a vote on whether or not to rename J.E.B. Stuart High School. After a couple of years fighting it, the vote passed--they are changing its name because he was a Confederate general and fought on the "wrong side." Really?! That is my mom's/aunts'/uncle's alma mater--needless to say, it's been around for a long time. With this PC binge everyone is on, nothing in history is safe.
(Haha, should I tell you about the time I went out to buy a confederate flag? That was an adventure.)
I appreciate history for what it is--the past. It is something for us to look at and see how we've changed. By naming things after historical people, like J.E.B Stuart or Jefferson Davis*, does not mean we endorse their beliefs. It means they played a part in the shaping of our nation, and we want to remember that. Now, we can remember to not repeat the same mistakes, or remember them to emulate their successes. They had things that worked for them that may come in handy in a different context. That's the beauty of hindsight. But if you rewrite everything, no one will remember, and the same mistakes can be repeated.
I mean heck, Gallows Road led to the old courthouse...rename that one, too? Though it's kind of funny.
*When doing indexing in Idaho, some of us would shout out cool names we liked as we came across them. One girl said, "Jefferson Davis?" I was shocked! WHAT?! YOU FOUND JEFFERSON DAVIS ON A CENSUS RECORD?! I had to go look--she had no idea who he was. I thought it was really cool--added proof that these people were real. They lived. They were more than just a mention in a textbook for a battle won/lost, or a leader of the Confederacy.
-----
As an aside: While my posts might be more interesting now that he's not reading them...I miss him. I'm praying for him. Heavenly Father's probably sick of me, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment