You really never know how much time you have. Make sure those you love know that you love them.
I grew up with some amazing families in my ward. One of the families moved into the ward when I was in eighth grade. Shortly after arriving, the father was called to be our bishop. His three younger kids were about the same age as my siblings, so we got to know them pretty well. He had two older daughters that were already in college, so I didn't have the chance to get to know them as well.
Another family, their younger kids lined up with my older siblings. I got to know them because the mom was my primary teacher, and then later a young women's leader, and then we served together in YW after my mission. She had a daughter that was my YW leader as well, and camp counselor. The father was once our ward's bishop, and then later called to be the stake patriarch.
Both families are very special to me. I thought it was funny when a son of second family married a daughter of the first. It seemed obvious that it should happen. They came from very good families, and seemed to have compatible personalities.
Fast forward a number of years. The couple has four boys ages 12-2, and had just found out the wife was pregnant with twin girls. It was exciting for a number of reasons--these were going to be the first granddaughters for her mom, and her sister found out she was pregnant with twin girls, too! They bonded over their similar pregnancies, and even had delivered around the same time, though in different states. They continued to bond over being moms of NICU babies.
The twins were born at 25 weeks, weighing less than 2 lbs. each. After a rough start, things were starting to continually improve. Everyday after she was released, she found herself visiting the twins in the NICU. She'd mark their progress, and occasionally share it on facebook. It was so exciting to see how strong those little babies were getting. They still have a long ways to go before they will be able to go home, but they're growing every day.
Friday, yesterday, she was on her way home to the rest of her family after visiting her babies in the hospital, when a drunk driver lost control of their car, and crashed into her. She died at the scene. About a mile from her house.
So close, yet so far.
Her husband lost his wife. Her 6 children lost their mom. Her parents lost a daughter. Her siblings lost a sister. Such a vibrant, happy life snuffed out. Just like that. All because of the choices of another person.
You never know how much time you have. Everyday is truly a blessing. I mean, think also of those that were slaughtered while they attended a country concert. Or those that are run over by terrorists. Stabbings, shootings, bombings. ...There is so much evil in the world, that everyday we have together is that much more precious because you just never know what the day will bring.
My heart hurts. I just want to hug Adam and his girls...but as much as I may wish it otherwise, they're not mine. He doesn't want me. Man, whenever something happens, good or bad, he's the one I want to turn to. 💔
I pray that someday I will be able to find where I belong. And hopefully sooner rather than later--I don't want to lose more precious time with them. I want to be able to love and be loved with all of my heart. No holding back once I know they are mine for good.
The song "Come What May" just popped into my head. It's a good one in Moulin Rouge. (Not a fan of the movie, but I like most of the music.)
No comments:
Post a Comment