As I work to spruce up my resume and LinkedIn profile. . . and my website, I have come to a few realizations.
Copies of annual reviews are important. I got my first annual review at age 18--10 years ago! I always thought, "Cool, thanks. It's nice seeing in print the things you tell me." And that was that. No one ever told me reviews would be significant to my future--except in their relation to my pay raises. Long term, they are a helpful resource to show future employers that your previous employers were happy with your work. Go figure. They're particularly good to use when you're trying to get into a career field different from your work experience. When prospective employers see teacher and retail positions, well, they're not going to immediately thing, "Yes, let's hire her for xyz technical job."
Don't have annual reviews? No worries, any commendations are good to keep track of, too. Recognition for any of your positive attributes will help paint a more full picture. (No wonder I've never been quite satisfied with my own resume. It has always felt flat, and didn't show a fair representation of me.)
Additionally, don't wait to update your information. You forget the details that can make a difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment