Saturday, September 10, 2016

New Dance Shoes

Bloch Split Flex Character Shoe
Showcase is coming up in 5 weeks. I needed some black shoes for a formation routine, and after going to two dance shops, these were the ones that I opted for. I figured they'd work as performance shoes (note: not competition shoes) and practice shoes. The saleslady assured me they'd be good for both Latin and standard dances. (Ha!)

Size: Street shoe equivalent

Fit: After only wearing them twice, I'm hoping it'll improve once they're broken in more. After 30 minutes of dancing I wanted them off my feet.

Flexibility: Less than I would like. I was pulled in by the split-flex concept--my favorite pair of jazz shoes have it as well. I am more accustomed to more supple materials in my shoes that help me feel the floor. Dancing in these were like wearing warm winter gloves while trying to tie a toddler's shoes. Rolling through my feet was not an option, and don't even get me started on Latin footwork. It was cumbersome.

Construction: I have worn them for a total of two and a half hours. Already the inner sole at the arch of one of the shoes is starting to come up. After reading other reviews, I don't imagine they'll last long beyond the showcase.

Appearance: They are super cute, with a classic profile. I only wish the heel were taller. I typically dance in 3" heels, so it is an adjustment dancing on the shorter heel.

Price: List price is $94, but you can find them for roughly $80-90.

Overall: They're not for ballroom dancers. I imagine they'd be a better fit for theater arts productions--they are character shoes, after all. However, if you plan on dancing in them a lot I would recommend a different shoe seeing as how these seem to fall apart quickly.

Best of luck, and happy dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment