It has been one heck of a month. I've meant to write about it, but I haven't been ready to. I will, however, do so shortly--it's kind of amazing, really. Before that, I have this story to share about my recent adventures.
I find myself on the other side of the country, in LA. I flew out Sunday morning on Virgin America, which is a new airline for me. I did my research, and knew more or less what to expect. A lot of frills that held little interest for me, and having to pay for every checked bag. (I typically fly Southwest--they let you take two checked bags for free AND give you free drinks and snacks.)
One of the amenities (frills) of the plane is a TV for each passenger. Shortly into our flight, the gentleman next to me had purchased a movie to watch and it stopped working partway through--his screen blacked out and froze. The flight attendant tried multiple ways to reset his screen, but to no avail. The solution: apologize, refund the show, and offer complimentary (adult) drinks or food. The gentleman didn't care about the cost of the show, or free refreshment; he just wanted to watch a show and be entertained for the duration of the flight. The attendant's new offer: there may be a middle seat available for him to switch to so he can watch TV.
After overhearing this whole exchange--he was right next to me, after all--I offered him my seat because I was not going to use my screen. He was a bit incredulous that I would willingly give up a functioning TV, and asked multiple times if I were sure I'd be ok to switch. He went back to inform the flight attendant of our plans, and returned, thanking me again, and said that the attendant said if I would like any drinks (adult) or food, it would be on the house.
When I said it was not an issue, I had my books to read, the gentleman
and flight attendant still had difficulty accepting my offer without me
receiving anything in return. Upon disembarking, they thanked me profusely--again--for something so trivial as switching seats.
Is kindness so far gone that it cannot be accepted unconditionally? Does altruism really not exist? Do we only give of ourselves in order to get something in return?
No comments:
Post a Comment