I've been thinking a lot of pioneers and sacrifices. What are you willing to give up? How far are you willing to go?
What caused them to leave the familiar and journey into the unknown? Think of the travel conditions that awaited them! Granted, it's hard to imagine the size of the Rockies until you get there. I mean, I hear the Grand Canyon is huge, grand even (😉), but I bet if I were to see it in person it would exceed my imagination.
Add to their troubles, they couldn't check a weather app to know how cold/snowy/rainy/hot it would be. They didn't know if a wagon wheel or axel would break, or if their animals would die. I'm guessing they didn't expect that they would die before they made it, but it's all within the range of possibilities.
Unlike today, they had to consider what they would do if something broke. There wouldn't be a repair shop conveniently located (unless you were REALLY lucky and broke down by an outpost). And I dare say they were a lot more handy back then then most people are today, but you can't grow a tree overnight. The plains are...well...plain.
There's the saying that really fits with the Pioneer spirit: use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.
How many precious belongings were left scattered on the trail as things broke, and animals died. Loads had to be lightened. Again I ask, why do it?
I'm a sentimental person, so it's hard for me to give up things with a history. Why did they give up so much? It wasn't a picnic once they got there either, though I bet the rejoicing rang out as they heard, "This is the place." No more wandering, they could begin to settle.
They wanted a better life. That's the American dream after all. Some were escaping religious persecution, some sought adventure. Some went because they felt compelled to answer the call. I think of the stories I've read and learned about. I think of how much financial, social, and emotional sacrifice as the pioneers made their way out west.
I have it easy. I'll find another job, I have enough and varied skills. I'll still be able to dance around my apartment, when I find one--see, added bonus! I don't have to build my own house, though I think that would be fun.
There's this thing called the internet that allows you to keep in touch regardless of distance, too. If I can serve a mission and have my (then )two-year-old niece still remember me when I returned 18 months, and little communication later...I won't be forgotten.
I can do what I need to do. I got this.
I'm not doing this for anyone but me. I'm finally going to listen and go where I belong...wherever that is. (I'm still not entirely sure. 😅)
No comments:
Post a Comment