My friend Bob shared this video on Facebook, and said, "What real life is like that at home. A piano player, dressed to the nines, smooth dancing."
Well, I love Fred Astaire. If only I had been born a little (ok, a lot) earlier, I totally would have married him. 😉 So of course I respond, "If Fred were in my life, mine would be! 😉😂" To which Bob writes back, "Erin, I only wish that for you. You really deserve a great romantic life."
So Fred Astaire, old movies, grandma. On board?
My grandma was pretty amazing. She didn't see it, but I wish I could be as cool as she was. No joke. The stories I could tell about her. Well, she outlived my grandpa by 10 years, and at some point in recent years she began to renew an old, old relationship with her high school sweetheart. (Y'see, she maintained correspondence with all of her schoolmates throughout her life...there were only 11 of them.) We thought it was sweet she had a boyfriend--she'd blush a little when you called her out on it.
A letter arrived from him the day after her passing. It broke my heart to read. Understand that the two of them went their separate ways long ago--she was married to my grandpa for over 60 years, and she was proud of the life she lived and the family she had. We were her greatest treasure. This man, Roy, he had had his own family, too. In his letter, he expressed how he had never truly gotten over my grandma. She was the only one he ever really loved like that. My grandma broke up with him because she wanted different things in life, but he never forgot her. He was glad she was still around with him, maybe they could meet up if he came out this way--he lives(d?) in Utah. (My grandma, at 95 years of age, was still living on her own up until the day she died. ❤️)
We called Roy as soon as we finished his letter. He was devastated to hear of her sudden death.
I can't help but think that I'll be like Roy--but not as successful. All because someone wanted something/someone different than me, and I don't know how to move on.
My great romantic life shall be played out by Fred and his leading lady. I think I'll just watch.
No comments:
Post a Comment