Sunday, February 19, 2017

Too Much on a First Date


I went out with this guy last week. It was a first date. Now, we had been chatting for about a week via text, and he seemed nice enough so I decided to meet him in person. However, very early on in our texting--and I've noticed this guy is not the only one to do this--he was planning a relationship months down the road. Let's be real, we hadn't even gone on a first date. I didn't want to speculate about something that might not get beyond a date or two. Planning on so much puts a lot of pressure on a first date. But I figured, whatever. He can be thinking months down the road, but I'm going to wait and see which eggs hatch.

We meet, and not surprisingly--also something I've begun to expect--he didn't look like his pictures. We go skating--a nice, public place, I'm no dummy--and about half-way through our evening, he asks if we can go out again on the weekend. Note: first impression wasn't what I was expecting, and there were a lot of key things that we didn't see eye-to-eye on, but I hadn't completely written off a second date. Well, I had already committed myself to dances at the studio, so I tell him I can't and explain my previous plans. He asks to come along, and I gave him a funny look. Now, you may not know me, and I knew he didn't know me, so I explained some more. The people at the dance studio are like my family. I'm friends with most of them, and even if I don't know their names, they know me. If I were to bring a guy to the studio, especially one that doesn't dance, there would be a lot of questions. Everyone would assume we're in a serious relationship. By this point, I already knew we weren't going to have a serious relationship, and I didn't want to consider introducing him to my dance family as date two. He didn't understand my hesitation. Again, he was thinking too far ahead without considering the here and now. Date two never happened.

Dating Rant:
Seriously, how hard is it to be in the here and now, getting to know a person, before trying to plan months away. I know I look for certain traits/goals in a person to consider their long-term potential before I go out with them. Once I feel okay with the potential, I will go on a date to get to know them as a person and see how we go along together. I need to know a person, be friends with them first, before I can seriously consider anything more. It's no good if you send too much, too soon my way, especially if you're not hearing what I'm saying.

I shall continue on my search.

No comments:

Post a Comment