This is taken from a blog my friend shared on Facebook. I read it last week and the logic, and subsequent "discussion", has been troubling me greatly ever since. The author shares 45 points in which they believe white privilege to exist in the church. I will only go over a few, and the author's conclusion.
- When at church, a church function, or socializing with other Latter-day Saints, White Latter-day Saints (WLDS) can, if they wish, arrange to be in the company of other white people most of the time.
- If they feel uncomfortable, misunderstood or mistrusted, WLDS can avoid spending time with people of color socially, at church or church functions. And, for WLDS, experiences as a minority are temporary. WLDS can usually return to a place where they are in the majority (i.e. after a mission).
- If they feel isolated, out of place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance or feared in the LDS community, WLDS don’t need to wonder if their race is the cause.
- When moving, WLDS can be pretty sure they can move into a ward with other white people.
- WLDS can open church materials, or view church media and see white people widely represented. In some older church videos, white people are painted brown to portray people of other races.
- WLDS can be sure their children will be given church materials that show their race.
- WLDS can easily find religious paintings, post-cards, posters, children’s books and magazines containing images of Jesus with white children and/or featuring white children.
- WLDS can see paintings of people of their race in the temple – Biblical figures will often be painted to look white.
- WLDS can see people of their race in the temple video.
- Current and former members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles are all white.
- Most speakers during General Conference are white.
- can be sure that at least one, if not all, members of their ward and stake leadership will be of their race.
- When WLDS watch the Mormon Tabernacle Choir perform, they have no difficulty finding someone of their race. In other words, MoTab is overwhelmingly white.
- The contributions of WLDS are the main focus of lessons on church heritage and history.
- “Pioneer” in the Church is nearly always synonymous with a white experience.
- A WLDS can be pretty sure her/his voice will be heard, even if s/he is the only white person in a group.
- WLDS can be casual about whether or not to listen to a person of color’s voice.
- WLDS do not have to educate their children about systemic racism in the church to protect their spiritual, emotional, and physical safety.
- WLDS can choose whether the Church’s legacy of institutionalized racism will affect their religious experience.
- WLDS will not be told their skin color is a result of sin.
- If WLDS are set-up on dates, they don’t need to wonder if race was the connecting factor.
- WLDS don’t need to worry if race is the reason they are single, and/or rarely date.
- When a WLDS marries a WLDS, no one assumes they met while one served a foreign mission. In contrast, if a person of color marries a WLDS, many assume the couple met while the WLDS served a foreign mission…because how else would they get together?
- WLDS usually do not need to worry about the racial attitudes of their children’s church leaders, teachers or peers.
- WLDS parents can easily arrange playdates with children that share the same race and religion as their own.
The author goes on for quite a bit with other examples of "white privilege", but I will skip to their bottom line.
For me, the Church can be a place of paradoxes. It is where I experience racism espoused by good-hearted, loving people. Over the years, and particularly in our current political and social context, it has become increasingly difficult for me to reconcile these two opposing realities.
I’ve come to the conclusion that ignorance can no longer be an excuse for perpetuating racism. It can no longer be an excuse for unintentional micro-aggressions. More and more voices are speaking about and against racism; ignorance is now willful and destructive. It upholds racist people, policies and systems. See: current events.
We cannot teach love and unity between all people without a willingness to do the work required to get there. Professing “I love everyone; I don’t see color” is just another form of racism; it negates the voices and experiences of people of color, and perpetuates the status quo. We can only pray our way to love and unity after we do all that we can do.
The author's whole post was an article that enlarges racism. How can one say "I love everyone; I don't see color" is racist? Yet, continuously drawing a line between groups of people will bring unity? Well, author, I don't see color. I see experiences and cultures; I see my brothers and sisters. I see the trials that people pass through, and have passed through, individually and as groups. But maybe my experiences and thoughts don't count for much because I'm a WLDS.
I think my biggest upset with this whole post, was how people are doubting the church organization because of this. They are starting to see shadows where there were none. The political and social climate of the country is starting to infiltrate the faithful, and that worries me. We are in the last days, and many false prophets shall arise. Do I think this author means to lead others away? No, not at all. But she is creating a distraction that will turn people from truth. ...man. I have so many thoughts on this, I could go on, but I won't.
The author's post though...I don't support it.

No comments:
Post a Comment